I’d been wanting to try this product line after hearing great things about it from one of my favorite YouTube vloggers, CharyJay. She uses this line in a lot of her styling tutorials, attesting to its versatility. I went to their website, and with my current situation, the prices were too rich for my blood, so I knew I’d have to wait until I could really afford to treat myself.
But then they had a July 4th sale, where everything was 50% off. I couldn’t resist.
So, here’s what I got:
- “Indulgently Luxe” Exotique Butter-Creme Hydrator ($16.99)
- Ingredients include Balsamic Butter-Oyl - their combination of shea butter, illipee butter, palm fruit oil, mango seed butter, pomegranate oil, safflower seed oil, avocado oil, and wheat germ oil.
- Great for hydrating the hair before styling or blow-drying
- Can be used as a heat protectant
- Fights humidity and frizz
- “The Manipulator” Creme Jelle Styler ($16.99)
- Fights frizz
- Elongates curls to reduce (not totally demolish) shrinkage
- Ingredients include castor oil, safflower seed oil, castilla wax
- “Total Perfection” 100% Argan Oil ($19.99)
- I’ve discussed the wonders of argan oil in a previous post. It doesn’t get any better than this.
Those are their current prices (as of the date of this post). With the sale, I spent about $30 total for all 3 products.
The first thing I noticed was the very, VERY faint floral scent of these products. With the exception of the argan oil (which smells like, well, argan oil lol), they were almost unscented, which is good for those of you who really aren’t into scents all that much. It’s also a plus if you want to pair these items with something else of yours of which you really love the smell. Cool, right?
Anyway, going off of CharyJay’s teeny tiny coils tutorial video, I did my hair in a coil-out as my first style using the Creme Hydrator and the Creme Jelle Styler in that order, with the Argan Oil as a sealant, then let them air dry for most of the day before sitting under a dryer for 15 minutes to speed it up a bit (my hair takes forever to air dry), then went to bed. (side note: CharyJay also turned me on to singer Mishal Moore, which is playing in this video, and her mixtape is awesome!!! Download her music from her website here.)
These are my coils the next day:
My immediate reaction: “They’re so soft!” Then, “I should have done them bigger, then separated them out.” Yeah, next time I’ll do them the way I’ve always done them. If you want to know my regular routine, check out Toliahli’s video here. I followed her steps (using my own products of choice) and they’ve worked so far. Overall, I liked the results, just wished I’d taken my time a bit more.
What I immediately picked up on while styling is that less is definitely more. You honestly don’t have to use a lot of this stuff at once (which is good, because at their price, you want it to last a while). The Creme Hydrator really felt hydrating - it seemed to “sink” right into my hair upon application. The Creme Jelle Styler is very light and fluffy like whipped egg whites, which I love (I’m acually starting to prefer jellies over regular gel because of how light they feel, but for maximum smoothing results I still rely on my Eco Styler argan oil gel).
On my next wash day, I did my hair in a regular twist-out, using these same products. These are the results below.
Oh, summer. :
These products DEFINITELY packed a punch in moisture, hold, and shine, and my hair held up very well against the humidity (the frizz factor was VERY low). However, out there in that heat, my hair felt so HEAVY, which is no fault of the products. It just means this is likely going to work better for me in the cooler months, a fact I just realized when I used my Original Moxie Lux Locks for the first time in forever not long ago (and you know how I love my Original Moxie!).
Thoughts to consider: i
- With the exception of the argan oil, these products are not 100% natural. The Creme Hydrator contains dimethicone, which I know a lot of naturals tend to stay away from, but if cones are no big deal, by all means try it.
- The entire line, on a brighter note, does not contain parabens, mineral oil, or petroleum, and is non-greasy, which is always a good thing.
Overall grade: A+. I’d definitely recommend this line, and will definitely re-purchase (at the next sale. lol).